One of my favorite things in life is queso/mexican dishes... however, with my new healthy living goals, here is a healthier version...
Healthy Queso Dip (dairy-free, soy-free)
Serves: 2.5 cups
A creamy, dairy-free queso, similar to the popular Ro*tel dip!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for up to 4 hours and drained
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- juice of half a lemon (about 1½ tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- In a high-speed blender, or food processor, combine the first six ingredients, plus the liquid from the can of diced tomatoes and green chiles. (I was able to get about ¼ cup of liquid from the can.)
- Blend until a smooth and creamy “cheese” sauce is created.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a large bowl, then add in the can of diced tomatoes and green chiles. Stir well to combine.
- At this point, be sure to adjust any flavors to your taste, then warm the dip using a small crock pot, or by heating it gently over a stove top. As the dip is warmed, it becomes even more authentic!
- Serve with baked tortilla chips and fresh sliced veggies, for a nutritious party snack!